Nov 15, 2014

SLOANE HOUSE





2 Stars - good idea, but not enough story to make it a good book

Ahhh, a good mystery is always fun.  I was definitely excited to read this book. You start out the story meeting Rosalind.  She is on the hunt to find out what happened to her sister Miranda who disappeared in the city of Chicago.  Rosalind leaves her home farm in hopes of discovering what happened and finding her sister.  As the story begins the author does a great job of setting the stage.  A large home, rich family - actually the elite of society, and Rosalind as a maid.  Yet as the story continued I found it a too slow.  Also I never did really like the character Rosalind.  A nice girl, but annoying and inconstant in a lot of ways.   By mid book I was wondering if I should finish it.   All the characters do a little dance around each other - act out of social norms, and once again, I felt bored.
Another perplexing thing was that he author set up the Armstrong family to be very keen on increasing their political social status yet how they treat Rosalind in the end is not consistant.  They are so open to a maid stepping in as their equal - every person in the household?  Really?  I thought it a bit much.  Also I felt like the plot climaxed over a rape scene and then the book quickly ended.  I was completely frustrated at how the story wrapped up.  So many unanswered questions.  I felt the rape scene was almost stuck in there to just wrap up the story, and did not like how it was done.  I was given a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

No comments: